This week Chef Abel wanted to share a delicious recipe that he and his staff created in order to take full advantage of the local bounty of delicious heirloom tomatoes, and tie it into this week’s Italian special cheese Parmigiano Reggiano being highlighted by our cheesemonger, Thomas Perry.
Organic Whole Wheat Spaghetti with Heirloom Tomato Salsa Cruda & Parmigiano Reggiano
1.5 cups garlic oil
4 cloves slivered garlic
1 medium minced shallot
2 heirloom tomatoes, cut into wedges
2 cherry tomatoes cut into wedges
¼ tsp. chili flake
6 leaves of basil, torn
6 T minced parsley
1 T flaked sea salt
1 T of fresh cracked black pepper
3 oz. Parmigiano-Reggiano
1 box whole-wheat spaghetti
1. In a medium sized pot, boil 4 quarts of salt water.
2. In a separate bowl mix garlic oil, garlic, shallot, chili flakes, basil, parsley, salt, and black pepper. Let stand for ten minutes while pasta cooks.
3. Cook pasta according to directions on the box.
4. Lightly toss tomatoes and mixed ingredients in the bowl with the drained pasta.
5. Grate ¾ of the Parmesan directly into the pasta. With a peeler, shave the remaining Parmesan on top when served.
6. Garnish to taste with additional cracked pepper.
Serve cold as a great pasta salad!
Pick up quarts of pre-made sauce in our gourmet case!